Wednesday, November 7, 2012

Gratitude Challenge 7-8

November 7 - I'm grateful for my Dad.

There are lots of reasons that I'm grateful for my Dad and I have lots of really great memories from my childhood through today that include him. Here a few of my favorites.

Every year my parents took me and my sister school clothes shopping and my Dad was always there. While the three of us would go in the dressing room to try things on, he would hold whatever we asked him to and then we'd come out and model for him and he would tell us what he liked best.

For about 13 years I danced for a studio in my hometown and we had recitals twice a year and sometimes more. I always knew where my Dad was sitting because even though the auditorium was pitch black, I could see the red light from his video camera and he was ALWAYS rolling.

My sister and I took swim lessons every summer while we were in elementary school and since our Mom had summers off, she always drove us and sat in the stands waiting for us to finish. It was special when Dad would come and sit with Mom to watch. When I was really young, I was a little bit of a wild child, risk taker and wasn't really afraid of anything. However there was a high board (it's since been removed) at the City Park's pool and it was really high. I remember being younger than seven-years-old, climbing the metal ladder up to the high board and then cautiously walking out to the ledge. That's when I would look at my parents sitting in the stands and on the days when my Dad came he would ball his hand into fist and pump it in the air giving me the confidence boost I needed. I can still see them sitting there cheering me on to this day.


I love that he always wanted to come with us and that he was always involved with whatever we did. He's been outnumbered in a house of three women for almost more than 34 years but he never seemed to mind.

November 8 - I'm grateful for my Mom.

It's been about four and a half years since I lost my Mom but I'm grateful for the 26 years I had with her. We had a special relationship that I'm not sure most would understand. It sometimes felt that we operated on the same wavelength and I often felt that knew what she was thinking and she knew better than anyone does to this day. We could finish each others sentences and when the two of us were together all seems right in the world. We were silly and often times did things that amused only ourselves.

I could write forever about my Mother but I'll just say that I'm blessed she was mine and I miss her every single day.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Pleasant Valley Sunday

Have you ever heard the song by The Monkees, Pleasant Valley Sunday? Well, it's the tune that plays in my head nearly every time I ...