Wednesday, November 14, 2012

Gratitude Challenge 13-14

November 13 - I'm grateful that I volunteer in my community.

I consider myself a lucky lady because I've found a couple of organizations in my community where I can spend my spare time volunteering and put my professional skills to use.

The first places is Brent's Place. Yesterday I spent the morning there celebrating the success of the Cakes for Cancer program. Last year was the first year I was involved in that particular event and it was a blast! I also spent part of my evening back at Brent's Place as my sister and I are co-chairs for the 25th Annual Kid's Cure for Cancer 5K. This will be my third year associated with this event and I'm so honored to play such a big role in what I'm sure will be a successful and profitable event. The kids at Brent's Place are so special and even though they're fighting cancer, getting bone marrow and stem cell transplants as well as spinal taps, they have the best attitudes and I'm grateful that I get to go and hang out with them.

With Mara on movie night. She's trying to shove her ice cream in my face and she thought it was hilarious. 

The second place I spend my free time is with the Colorado State University Alumni Association's Denver RAM Network. This year I took on the role of Executive Chair for the Community Service Committee. (Are you sensing a theme here? I like to volunteer!)

This year I helped to organize Cans Around Denver and we collected nearly 400 more pounds of food which were donated to the Food Bank of the Rockies to help end hunger in our communities.

Another fun project I'm involved in is CSUnity. It's a day of service, this year April 20, where alumni, friends and family gather to give back to the community in various ways. Two years ago I helped clean up the Molly Brown House and last year I spent my day at the Denver Botanic Gardens with my hands in the dirt. I'm not sure where I'll be this year but it's an event that I always look forward to!



I get so much out of volunteering and I'm grateful I've found two amazing organizations that allow me to pay it forward.

November 14 - I'm grateful for this challenge.

That's right, you read correctly. I'm grateful for this challenge. Yesterday when I was sweeping up and raking the leaves (for the second time in four days) that had covered my backyard and patio, I started to complain. Then, in the middle of my not-so-nice rant, I took a look around and had to remind myself that I should be grateful because 1) I have leaves to rake up. I'm sure there are people who would love to own a home and have a backyard and it's no small feat that I should take for granted and 2) I should be grateful that I'm able to get out rake and sweep up the leaves that fall off the trees.

After I took that moment to reflect on and count my blessings, the activity no longer seemed like a chore. The next time I start feeling aggravated about everyday life, I'm going to try this and hopefully it will help me remember that I have a great life!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Pleasant Valley Sunday

Have you ever heard the song by The Monkees, Pleasant Valley Sunday? Well, it's the tune that plays in my head nearly every time I ...