Thursday, April 19, 2012

NOLA part 2

Once we got checked in, we hit the streets to explore. We walked all around Bourbon St., up to the French Market, over to Canal Street and then back to Bourbon St.


The smells at the French Market were phenomenal and made me hungry. Well, to be honest I think I walked off the plane salivating and my appetite for Cajun/New Orleans/Creole/ food as well as Fried Chicken was never really satisfied because I am still dreaming of the food in NOLA and nothing I have at home seems to do the trick.

At the French Market, we got some Gator Jerky for my Dad. He likes weird stuff!

Along the way, we stopped at Cafe Du Monde and had coffee and beignets. I thought they were delish, my sister said the real thing in Paris is better but I don't have anything to compare Cafe Du Monde to, so I LOVED them!


To my sister's point, there was A LOT of powdered sugar on these babies and when when the wind would blow, so would the sugar. Before we left our table, we had to dust ourselves off.


Like I said we walked all over the French Quarter and beyond on the day we arrived. Here's a pic if Canal St. My sister said it sort of reminded her of Miami.


And here's a shot of Bourbon St. at night. The day we arrived was the last day of the French Quarter Festival and the streets were packed. It was like a mini-Mardi Gras, so I was happy! The other days we were there, Bourbon St. was not nearly as busy which was nice, but it was also fun to see it busy.


Later in the evening we went to dinner at Desire Oyster Bar. It's connected to our hotel, and it was pretty good! I got a soft-shell crab po' boy and it was delish! However, I did choose to not have the bread with the second half and almost all of my fries were left behind. It was just SO much food!  We also had BBQ shrimp for a starter and those were really good! My sister got the jambalaya, gumbo, red beans and rice trio which was really, really flavorful and one of the best things I tasted while there!


During dinner we heard some music outside, which there was a lot of, but this music was moving. So, I went outside to see what it was and it was a wedding processional walking right up Bourbon St. following a band. The people behind the couple were waving streamers and dancing. It seemed so fun, I really wanted to jump in the party but dinner hadn't arrived yet.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Pleasant Valley Sunday

Have you ever heard the song by The Monkees, Pleasant Valley Sunday? Well, it's the tune that plays in my head nearly every time I ...