Thursday, April 8, 2010

Spring Fever & I've Got It Bad!

Yesterday I woke to three inches of snow in my backyard and by the time I got home from work, it was all melted. Spring in Colorado is one of my favorite times of the year, closely followed by Autumn in Colorado. But today's post is all about Spring and how I've got Spring Fever, badly!

Last weekend I weeded my entire backyard area (it's only about 15 x 15 so don't let me fool you into thinking I was slaving away all day :) as well as dug up the hideous rose bushes the previous owner planted. I regret now not taking photos to show the progress I made and how much cleaner, nicer the backyard looks, but it is what it is and there's no photographic evidence of my hard work.


Since I cleaned the area, I'm starting to get a feel for what would work best and beginning to get excited about the possibilities the area holds. I plan on planting some ornamental grass that will act as a border and provide some privacy between my fence and the neighbors. My new neighbors' dog likes to bite at the fence and Presley does the same, so I thought it would be good to provide some natural distance between them.


I'm also thinking about planting a nikko blue hydrangea along the same fence and in between the ornamental grass to add some color and dimension to my yard.


I also found some cute flowers I want to plant along the side of my yard where my fireplace is:











And, this year, I am attempting an herb garden. My sister has had one for years and swears it's easy. Here's a few of the items I want in my herb garden this year:







The hard part will be waiting until Mother's Day weekend to plant all these lovely things!

2 comments:

Pleasant Valley Sunday

Have you ever heard the song by The Monkees, Pleasant Valley Sunday? Well, it's the tune that plays in my head nearly every time I ...