Monday, December 28, 2009

Presley's Patella

My two, almost three-year-old Carkie, Presley had patella surgery Thursday, December 17 and it's been an exhausting ride since.
The reason she had surgery is because she was born with a luxating patella which means her knee cap pops in and out of place. The vet told me it's common in small dogs and easily fixed. It's been 11 days since her surgery and she's doing really well, even walking on her leg.
The vet sent me home with multiple pages of instructions on how to care for her which included, no jumping on or off things and no climbing stairs. This is where the exhausting part comes in. Most days she's like a flying squirrel; jumping, climbing and bounding on and off things. It has been difficult to keep her still and even more difficult to keep her from doing those activities she normally loves.
I don't know what it's like having a new born, but I can bet it's similar to having a puppy that isn't supposed to run, jump or climb on things. She's been my shadow for 11 days and will be for at least another two months.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Pleasant Valley Sunday

Have you ever heard the song by The Monkees, Pleasant Valley Sunday? Well, it's the tune that plays in my head nearly every time I ...