Monday, August 17, 2009

What's wrong with just wanting to be friends?


What's so bad about just wanting to be friends? I'm certainly not talking about being friends with exes but instead, with people you've just met. I attended a young professionals event not too long ago and met some great people! I gave my business card out like it was on fire all the while thinking to myself what a great networking event I was attending.

Next came the emails asking me out. There are so many things wrong, on so many levels, with asking someone out via their work email.


  1. My phone number is also on my business card, call me

  2. I use my work email for work and my personal email for personal business

  3. Get to know me, then ask me out

You may be asking yourself, how can I get to know someone if they won't go out with me? Well, I suggest happy hour invites. They're less pressure and definitely not a date. I'm not opposed to dating, but there are so many weirdos out there that I prefer to know the men I'm going out with rather than jumping at the first invite. Asking people you just met out makes things awkward and you can, well I can, never go back to being just casual friends.


I'm also not wanting to date at this point in my life. Truly, honestly, from the heart not wanting to date anyone. But when I tell a man this, I can tell they're thinking is a total crock and I'm feeding them some BS line.


There's a fine line separating friendship and dating, but what's so wrong with starting out being friends?!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Pleasant Valley Sunday

Have you ever heard the song by The Monkees, Pleasant Valley Sunday? Well, it's the tune that plays in my head nearly every time I ...